Thursday 13 September 2012

Nigel Bird

Dirty Old Town

Amazon.com  Dirty Old Town

My review -

This is a very well-written book of short stories. I am enjoying shorts more and more since I bought my kindle. I would never previously have bought them or taken them out of the library. These stories are not only different in genre but in 'voice' - 'Sea Minor' is a haunting little tale told very convincingly in a child's voice (and is possibly my favourite). One or two are told in a vernacular style and some are third person narrations. All are successful examples of their genre and many give considerable food for thought.

It is rare that one reads a book of short stories and doesn't feel that a couple are make-weights and not up to standard. These are very good indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment