Sunday 9 September 2012

Seb Kirby

Seb Kirby's books are most certainly thrillers though the first two are rather different in theme and style.  I have very much enjoyed them both.



Take No More

Amazon.com  Take No More

My review -

This is a wonderful novel from a new author and I hope it will be the first of many. The plot moves fast and often surprisingly. There is much to admire about Seb Kirby's knowledge of the art world and there's plotting and deceit in the criminal underworld to contend with too. Seb is a master at writing emotion without overdoing it. He can make you feel the full jolt under the heart from bereavement, the lack of purpose felt by those who experience it, but he is never soppy about it. He can also express utter joy in a way many authors would love to be able to do.

I really enjoyed this book. It's a very satisfying read from an intelligent and talented author. More, please.



Double Bind

Amazon .com  Double Bind

My review -

Seb Kirby has taken a new direction in his second novel. It is at heart a deeply intriguing psychological thriller.
I would say it leans a little towards science fiction although it still contains elements of mystery and murder as in his debut novel Take No More (The murder mystery thriller). Imagine not only the sort of identity theft where someone steals your credit card and passwords but where s/he effectively becomes you. The physical resemblance is so close it fools your nearest and dearest. This is not Sci-fi in the tentacled green monsters or whizzy machines sense but it concerns the potential destruction of our planet at our own hands.

I began by suspecting the narrator, Raymond Bridges, of concocting the story for his own ends but as the book progressed I found him a sympathetic character and was really rooting for him. Had I been a nail-biter I'd have been up to my elbows by about 85%. The chapters are short so it's tempting just to read another... and another! The book is narrated by a character who is not familiar with the use of the past tense and initially this takes a little getting used to. It doesn't hinder the flow of the story though and I found it an effective ploy for distancing him from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment