Wednesday 27 May 2015

Stuart Ayris

Let your mind go and enjoy this fantasy from the master of  'not-taking-the-rules-of-language-too-seriously'.


Elysian Wonderland

Amazon.com

My review - 

This is Stuart Ayris at his Ayrisest. In a wonderland very reminiscent of Lewis Carroll’s own, an apparently sentient campervan takes a stale-relationshipped couple to a convention in a field. They are given a purple drink and meet strange people and creatures. They also meet two children and later discover their own relationship to these two. It’s a fairy-tale type of story about personal relationships and is, as you’d expect from the author, quirky, idiosyncratic and linguistically creative.

I have loved Stuart’s work since I read Tollesbury Time Forever and I know he has a great number of fans who enjoy the off-the-wall relationship he has with the English language and with popular music. Just a word of warning – if you’re a new reader, I wouldn’t advise you to start here as I think many people would find the strangeness a bizarre too far. Read some of his earlier works first and allow yourself to relax into his style. It’s a fun ride!


I received an advance copy for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment