Sunday 25 June 2017

Sam Kates

And now for something completely different, as the man said!


That Elusive Something

Amazon.com link

My review - 

Quirke (just call me Quirke) is aware that his relationship is in trouble and before long, things at work go pear-shaped too. His mate Dave is also living an unsatisfying life. After Quirke’s last session with Seff, a compelling, slightly mystical character, he decides to go off and find the community he speaks of. Dave, in it for a walking holiday, accompanies him.


I believe this book was begun seventeen years ago. I can only say it was worth the wait. I enjoy the author’s writing style, always easy without being simple. There’s a lot about human nature here, too. An idyllic life can be endangered not by the environment or outside forces, but from within, by our own flawed natures. I became very engrossed in the story and read it in two days. If I’d not had meals to eat, or a bed to call me, I’d have read it in a single session! Highly recommended if you want something out of the ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment